Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dear Gunn..

So, I briefly touched on Mark Twain's short story, "1601" and gathered a little bit of the crazy Twain has about him. I read a discussion between Secretary of state in 1880, John hay, and Alexander Gunn.

June 24, 1880
My dear Gunn:

Here it is. It was written by Mark Twain in a serious effort to bring
back our literature and philosophy to the sober and chaste Elizabethan
standard. But the taste of the present day is too corrupt for anything
so classic. He has not yet been able even to find a publisher. The
Globe has not yet recovered from Downey's inroad, and they won't touch
it.

I send it to you as one of the few lingering relics of that race of
appreciative critics, who know a good thing when they see it. 


The two are obviously fans, as am I. It intrigues me to see such high individuals mocking the rest of society for as so well put, not knowing "a good thing when they see it." I would like to continue endeavours into the story. Unfortunately, I made a pact with myself to finish On the Road before anything else. Can't you see how wonderful of a job I'm doing? Literary aspects aside, I'm tired, and still have so much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment